Introduction to IGNOU MBA
Indira Gandhi Open University (IGNOU) has been educating students since decades now. IGNOU MBA is one of the most popular courses offered by the university.
IGNOU MBA is a UGC and AICTE approved Master of Business Administration degree program that can be completed through distance learning and online mode of education.
The IGNOU MBA is a popular choice for working professionals and students who want to learn the skills and knowledge necessary to make a career in the field of business and management.
Having notable alumni like Vani Kapoor, Deepika Padukone (Left before completion), Ashok Khemka, Celina Jaitley, and other successful corporate pioneers, IGNOU has survived brilliantly through word-of-mouth only.
The university has excellent programmes designed specifically to nurture a management aspirant across borders with ease.
In this article we will discuss about various distance education MBA courses offered by the IGNOU with their admission procedure, eligibility criteria, fee structure and more.
Benefits of doing MBA from IGNOU via distance education mode:
- Ranked as number 1 education providers in distance mode by respectable entities.
- First open university in India to be accredited with the highest A++ Grade by NAAC.
- A degree attained from IGNOU has been recognized by many recruiters and HRs of multinational corporates.
- IGNOU has regional centres in countries like UAE, Singapore, Nepal, Saudi Arabia, and Europe.
- IGNOU offers good flexibility to any student to pursue MBA. The duration ranges from 2 years - 4 years.
- IGNOU degree has a global acceptance and companies from all geographic entities accept IGNOU noted in resume.
- IGNOU has been recognized by UGC, AICTE and DEB (Distance Education Bureau) as well.
- Recently High Court released an order stating that a degree from IGNOU is valid for getting employment in India.
- It has the most affordable fee structure in the country.
- IGNOU MBA degree is recognized by all the member institutions of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
IGNOU MBA offers the following 5 specializations. Students can pick any one of the specialization in 3rd semester.
- Human Resource management
- Financial Management
- Operations Management
- Marketing Management
- Services management
Management Courses Offered by IGNOU
IGNOU offers a total 7 MBA courses and 6 post graduate diploma courses under its school of management.
Here is the list of MBA and other management courses offered by IGNOU
- Master of Business Administration (MBA (Distance Mode))
- Online MBA (MBAOL (Online Mode))
- MBA Marketing Management
- MBA Operations Management
- MBA Financial Management
- MBA Human Resources Management
- MBA Banking & Finance
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Financial Management (PGDFM)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDMM)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Operations Management (PGDOM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Services Management (PGDISM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in International Business Operations (PGDIBO)
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Procedure
- In order to enroll for MBA degree, one must have a graduation degree with at least 50% in aggregate (for general quota), and 45% for reserved categories. Professional experience is an added advantage while pursuing a degree with IGNOU. No age bar in applying for the degree.
- There is no entrance test required for admission.
Step-by-step process to apply for any MBA course offered by IGNOU in distance education mode:
- Applying for admission in IGNOU is easy. Students need to register themselves on IGNOU official website for taking the admission in IGNOU MBA program.
- Before proceeding for registration, students must check their eligibility criteria for the program.
- Students who meet the eligibility criteria can register themselves on IGNOU website and choose the program they want to pursue.
- After the registration is completed, students need to upload the required documents and pay the fee for the program.
- Students will be admitted in the first semester of MBA program, from subsequent semesters, students need to re-register themselves.
- There is no option for lateral entry in IGNOU MBA program.
Attach the following documents:
● Photocopy of Birth Certificate.
● Photocopy of 10, 10+2 and graduation marksheet.
● Photocopy of Aadhar Card/Passport/PAN card/ Driving Licence/ Electricity or Phone Bill/ or any Bank account statement if none of the above are available in order to submit residential proof.
● Acknowledgement of undertaking for any GAP in education and any supplementary like backlogs. In case students are applying in their last semester then they are required to attach the result-awaited application approved by the college.
● Two colored passport sized photographs.
- Demand Draft of fee.
There are two admission cycles that IGNOU follow for admission. The first admission cycles starts from July, and the second admission cycle starts from January each year.
Admissions are invited in both the admission cycles and interested students can visit the IGNOU's official website during the admission cycles and register themselves for admission.
IGNOU MBA Fee Structure
IGNOU MBA is one of the cheapest distance and online MBA option available in India. IGNOU MBA cost just INR 62,000 for the two year program and IGNOU MBA semester fee is just INR 15,500 per semester.
More details about IGNOU MBA fee structure is mentioned below
- The total fee of any management degree from IGNOU is around INR 62,000 which is very economical as compared to other colleges and universities offering the same course.
- IGNOU prefers the payments through Demand Draft.
- Scholarships options are available and students need to check with the admission counsellors or university for the same. Students from reserved category can apply for scholarship after checking the required details enclosed on the university’s website.
- After filling up the demand draft, students are advised to write their enrollment number, address and name at the backside of DD, before sending it to the regional director.
IGNOU MBA courses fee is mentioned as below
IGNOU Course Name
MBA (Distance Mode)
MBA (Online Mode)
MBA Marketing Management
MBA Operations Management
MBA Financial Management
MBA Human Resources Management
MBA Banking & Finance
Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resources Management
Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Management
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management
Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management
Post Graduate Diploma in Services Management
Post Graduate Diploma in International Business Operations
Course Structure and Exit Certificate
- IGNOU MBA consists of total 28 subjects.
- Out of the total 28 subjects, there are 20 core subjects, 7 subjects from the chosen specializations, and one project course.
- Students need to choose 7 subjects in each semester.
Students who completes all the 28 subjects along with mandatory project report are awarded the degree certificate in chosen specialization.
However, students who want to take an exit after completing the 1st and 2nd semesters (56 credits), will be awarded with the Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDIM).
Other Benefits of doing MBA from IGNOU:
- Radio Counselling: IGNOU effectively conducts Phone-in and radio programs. Enrolled students can obtain their schedules from respective IGNOU study centers.
- Interactive Counselling Sessions: IGNOU conducts around 6 counselling students for their students in each course. These special sessions are managed by Study Center Coordinators of IGNOU.
- Audio and Video Media Aids: In an effort to make students understand the core concepts of management, IGNOU has created video and audio hearing aids. Designed by Subject Matter Experts, the study material helps enhance the learning experience of students.
- Printed Study Materials: Unlike other universities, IGNOU sends printed study material to the students on their registered home address.
If you need more information about Indira Gandhi National Open University MBA degree program, the same can be obtained from the University’s office at Maidan Garhi, New Delhi-110 068.